So I’ve been really having a hard time writing lately. I don’t feel very quippy and my summer thus far has been pretty “eh”. Mostly busy busy stuff that MIGHT be interesting for individual posts but I just don’t know if I have it in me right now. Since summer is all about the lazy, I’m gonna wrap it all up in one glob for you.
Just for giggles I’ll even bullet point the random crap from the past month or so:
- No fun trips, in fact, no weekends where Daddio wasn’t working at least one of the weekend days. Bleecchhk.
- The weather has been pretty nice, only one week where the heat/humidity was “bad”. In fact, there was even a nice cool-ish week thrown in that really spoke to me.
- Kiddo’s best friend moved away. Like far away. Like 2,245 miles far. It’s been tough. Don’t get me started.
- Potty training is creeping into my house.
- I had a little surgery. I think I’ll post about this all on its own though so I can gross you out with pictures so you can get the full effect. Suffice it to say, you shouldn’t neglect the SPF this summer. Embrace having healthy skin and avoid the draw to be golden.
- I attended a funeral this morning. It was a nice service. It just never is easy, is it? Hopefully the copious amounts of food provided can ease the mourning a bit.
- The hole in the wall of the room I’m sitting in has been here for two years now. Somehow of all the fix-it projects to tackle, this hole taunts me the most. A substantial amount of that taunting is because I created the hole myself. It started with a mushy spot at the bottom corner of the window and I chipped away at it to see how far the moisture extended. Pretty far. After hanging out of the window in my climbing harness to caulk the living crap out of it (oh, hey neighbor!) and doing everything humanly possible -short of replacing the window- to fix and/or slow the water seepage, the hole is ready to be repaired. I think. The taunting continues.
- I’m looking into preschools in my area. We visit one this week and I think it’s my pick. This place is close, cheap, and reportedly decent. Kiddo doesn’t need to be smarter, he just needs to ummm…“polish his social skills”.
- Both Daddio and I got “big” callings at church. I contend that our poor ward is just really scraping the barrel at this point. This summer’s turnover was like 40% of active families leaving. Ouch. Does anyone else’s ward ebb and flow so drastically?
- I got 9 books about Wal-Mart from the library and have read 4 and a half of them. And no, not all of the books were rabidly “anti”. The last one I finished could have been written by Sam Walton’s ghost for all I could tell. My opinion of the company has not changed a lot, but I feel much more informed and the history of the company really is fascinating. They have truly reshaped the face of retail around the world. Only one of the books so far would, in my opinion, tip the scales as a blatantly inflammatory publication. I’ve really enjoyed the reads, though. The one I’m currently reading seems more balanced than the previous three, but I’m only a quarter of the way through it.
- I fixed the lawnmower. Twice. The first repair was a broken pull cord, which was remedied by disassembling the mower and reattaching the now slightly shorter pull string to the housing it coils in. It took three take apart put together cycles to get the spring thing sprung and retracting correctly, but ultimately I did it. The second repair was the cracked and leaking fuel line that I discovered while I had it apart fixing the pull string (a-ha so THAT’S why the gas smell is so strong!). Kiddo (male, 3rs old) and I headed to the home center to get replacement parts and, our quest being successful, we busted out the tools. One last “take-apart” and we put that sucker right in. Then we secured it with the new clamps we got – the exact replacement of the old clamps was not available so we took a chance faking it with an alternative and it worked!. I now know right off the top of my head which size sockets and which screwdrivers are necessary to take apart a TORO GTS-XL 21” mulching mower. Can I just say my mower has never run better AND I saved at least 100 bucks doing it myself. Ladies, pick up your tools and reject being subject to greasy repair people preying on you and/or nagging a man to help you! Well, maybe the Wiz should just cough up the hundred bucks because apparently her spatial skills aren’t that hot (you know I love you, dude… but we all have our limits).
So that’s my June. I had to just sit down and crank out this post out because the inertia of my dwindling contributions to this blog was beginning to grind things to a perma-halt. Though it seems my enthusiasm for this whole shindig is minimal, I really do want to keep trying. Plus, the Wiz got HOSED this week and it seemed like the least I could do. Ok, Wiz have a DP and take a break for a day or two.
WordPress database error: [Can't open file: 'wp_comments.MYI' (errno: 144)]
SELECT * FROM wp_comments WHERE comment_post_ID = '1328' AND comment_approved = '1' ORDER BY comment_date