By The Wiz
Guest post from our favorite Mommy-lawyer, jamisue.
Recently I’ve been doing a lot of historical research due to a pending legal case I have which involves the history of roads in my jurisdiction. I know, it sounds as exciting as watching paint dry. In reality, not only has it been an interesting foray into Mormon pioneer history and settlement in the area, but in reading the mounds of historical documents, I’ve discovered a lot about my own ancestors, both good and bad. Who knew?
In doing the reading, however, I found myself saying quite frequently “thank you dear Lord for not making me be a pioneer!” I don’t have the constitutional fortitude to have been a pioneer. Not that I’m completely prissy (far from it) I just don’t think I could have handled the day-to-day trials given to those dear women. For that reason, I made my own top ten list of reasons why I’m grateful I wasn’t sent to this earth 150 years ago. I’m sure you all have your own reasons, or maybe you think you would have been better off 150 years ago, but as for me, this list says it all.
1. Indoor plumbing (need I say more?)
3. Drugs. Not the street variety, but the plethora of really good stuff that makes life so much better, like epidurals, antibiotics and Motrin.
4. Voting. While Wyoming gave women the right to vote in 1864 and other Western states, including Utah granted suffrage a few years later, women’s suffrage didn’t really take hold until the 19th amendment in 1920. This was definitely an improvement and one for which I am very grateful.
5. The DVD player in my Mormon Assault Vehicle. Yep, one of the greatest inventions known to any mom who has to travel. Oh yeah, and the four-wheel-drive at 80 mph is good too.
6. Conference in my jammies. Thanks to television, radio, satellite dishes and the Internet (all great candidates by themselves), having the ability to watch or listen to General Conference from the comfort of my own home, in my jammies, is a beautiful thing. Now if only I could do Stake Conference the same way . . . . .
7. Pediatricians and medical help on demand. I’m fortunate enough to have a good friend who is also a pediatrician and is willing to take my weirded-out-mommy calls at 2:00 a.m. Of course in exchange I have to take her I-need-a lawyer-now calls sometimes at the same hour. But even without her, I have 800 numbers, poison control hot lines, emergency rooms and 911. All of which make me a much happier mommy.
8. Lycra and Nikes. Either or both make me a better woman any way you look at it.
9. Microwaves & Mac-n-Cheese. Ahhhhh, instant gratification.
10. Disneyland. It’s my happy place.
WordPress database error: [Can't open file: 'wp_comments.MYI' (errno: 144)]
SELECT * FROM wp_comments WHERE comment_post_ID = '257' AND comment_approved = '1' ORDER BY comment_date