By The Wiz
I know I have been posting things my brother has written about his weight loss. He has been posting them on his blog, and when the folks at Somae asked him if he could get his posts to a Mommy blog, I complied. Happy to do it. I’m actually finding them interesting and kind of fun, so I will continue to post them as he writes them.
I believe (and I think I can speak for all us here):
1. You do not have to be a certain weight or size to be beautiful.
2. You do not have to be a certain weight or size to be happy.
3. You do not have to be a certain weight or size to be loved, or loving.
4. You do not have to be a certain weight or size to be…..anything, really, except possibly a jockey or a stewardess in the ’60s.
Now, if you are having health issues, that is something else entirely, and I would hope that you would address them with your doctor and take whatever steps you and your medical and support team deem appropriate.
But if you do decide you want to lose weight, and when stupid people tell you “It’s basic math - it’s as simple as calories in vs. calories out” I want to mentally picture me smacking them in the face. That way, you don’t have to actually hit them, you can just mentally say “The Wiz hates you” and then you’ll feel better.
If it WERE that simple, then the following would be true.
1. It would be just as easy for women to lose weight as men.
2. It would be just as easy to lose weight at 45 as it is at 25. Heck, at 85 vs 15. Feed a teenager and a senior the same things, see what happens.
3. Hormones wouldn’t matter.
4. The type of calorie wouldn’t matter.
5. Stress wouldn’t matter.
6. Eating too few calories would actually work, instead of forcing your body into starvation mode.
7. Billions of other factors (sleep, marital status, finances, emotions, hydration) would simply not come into play.
Now, I’m not saying calories don’t matter, I just hate it when people say it’s that easy. Even on “Biggest Loser” they say it all the time, and then at the weigh-in, they’re all “I don’t get it. Mathematically this doesn’t make sense.” And I scream at the TV “That’s because weight loss is COMPLICATED.”
Then my husband tells me I’m taking this show a little too seriously. And I agree. But what is reality television for if not to manipulate emotions and illicit a response?
I’m just asking you please to not take my brother’s posts as an indication that anybody here at MMW thinks you need to be skinnier. Because we don’t. You’re good.
WordPress database error: [Can't open file: 'wp_comments.MYI' (errno: 144)]
SELECT * FROM wp_comments WHERE comment_post_ID = '2589' AND comment_approved = '1' ORDER BY comment_date